You probably know of flex seeds, have used sesame seeds and heard of chia seeds, but what in the world are the hemp seeds? I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in nutrition, but didn’t hear of hemp seeds until about 6 months ago. I was exchanging breakfast ideas with few friends on Twitter, when someone mentioned Hemp Seeds. Hemp Seeds? What’s that? – I replied skeptically and that’s where my education started.
HEMP SEEDS 101
Hemp seeds, a powerful superfood that is still under the radar. Often touted as “the most nutritionally complete food source in the world,” hemp seeds are vegan and gluten-free, and boast nature’s highest botanical source of essential fatty acid (more than flax or any other nut or seed oil) and a perfect 3:1 ratio of Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. The super seeds also contain all 20 amino acids, a chart-topping percentage of protein (more than soybeans, tofu, chicken and other meats – perfect for those watching their weight), and high levels of minerals like iron and zinc.
What is it good for:
- it will benefit hair, nails, and skin
- it helps sleep better
- it eases menstrual cramps
- it helps digestive health
Happy Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
Take the strawberry by the stem and dip both sides into the chocolate (watch your wrist hitting the side of the bowl… it is hot trust me). Then immediately roll the strawberry in Happy Hemp and place on wax paper tray. Throw in fridge until ready to serve!!
- Hemp Seed is rich on antioxidants
- It is great raw – just have a spoon full
- It’s gluten-free
- It’s vegan
- It’s a good source of protein – 2 oz of hemp seed contains around 12 gr of protein
- It’s rich with Omega-3 (about 10 g) and Omega-6 (about 3 g)
- It has lots of vitamins and nutrients