I am surrounded by moms who are nursing their small businesses to life. Yes, I am talking about you, my dear blogger friends, photographers, network marketers, virtual assistants, and everyone else. We spend hours in our pajamas running our businesses from home: answering emails, making phone calls, and collecting orders. We do it at the kitchen table or the bathroom, on a smartphone or the laptop, but I am here to tell you – you need an office!
We all have heard the statistics – many businesses fail in their first years, but that is not stopping us – we mean business! Well, any company needs working space, working hours, and a business card, and I bet you have the last one.
If I am not convincing enough, here are a ten more reasons why you need a dedicated working space
[bctt tweet=”10 Reasons Why You Need a Dedicated Workspace”]
- A dedicated workspace is what separates a business from a hobby. Your husband might be playing solitaire in his cubical, but he still calls it going to work.
- You can now say: I am going to work and mean it. Set your business hours and hang them in your office – stick to it.
- Save your back from a backache and get yourself an office chair. A good chair will make you look forward to sitting on it and save lots of time on doctor’s appointments.
- Being in the office environment means you distance yourself from the temptations of guilty snack and home chore distractions.
- You can increase your productivity by keeping office stuff in the office. You might also consider disabling Candy Crash on your “office” computer.
- Leave the office behind when it’s your time to spend time with the family. Your family is important – be 100% there, while spending time with your loved ones. Teach your kids about the importance of separating work from personal life.
- Say no to multitasking. Recent research shows that multitasking means not giving 100% to either project you are working on. Have it your all – one project at a time!
- Hire interns – your kids might enjoy interning in your office. Keep your children busy and let them help you run your business 10 minutes a day for younger children or more if they are older.
- The Proper workspace will help you keep things organized instead of all over the house. That would also slightly decrease the house cleaning.
- Did you know that a dedicated for office room in your house is tax deductible? That is like free money you won’t get otherwise.
When it comes to a home office, what do yo think is the most important part of it?