With Easter just around the corner, you are probably planning something special for the kids. Are you planning special kids only brunch? Ordering super cool eggs? Drafting a map of the potential hiding places for the egg hunt? We have something special for your Easter egg hunt this year, so keep on reading! I decided to give another try to making cupcakes with the kids. Our unique cupcakes were filled with delicious M&Ms – kids had a blast making the cupcakes and enjoyed, even more, eating them. These Springtime Red Velvety Beet Cupcakes have been inspired by a recipe from Handstand Kids. Each of my family members got to decorate 5 cupcakes.
- Two large red beets
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- Two teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Two large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil2
- teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 eight ounce package of cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- One teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off the greens and tail of beets, wash them and then wrap each beet in foil to make a sealed package.
- Place beet packages in the oven for 1 hour. Remove using oven mitts and let cool.
- Once cooled, remove beets from foil and peel off beet skin using a plastic bag in your hand like a glove.
- Place beets in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Set 3 tbsp in a separate bowl for the frosting – everything else will go into the cupcakes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Place the eggs, milk, honey, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl and stir with the spatula to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and stir to combine, add beet puree.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake pans or baking cups (approximately 1/3 cup batter per cupcake) and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool at room temperature, and then top with Red Beet Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting ( makes about 2 cups):
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until fluffy.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes and serve!
- Decorate with layers of jelly beans and other yummy candies!