I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Dove.
I received a product sample and promotional item to thank me for my participation.
How much thought do you put into a perfect deodorant? A few years ago I finally stopped looking for a perfect deodorant. Years of searching, and I was certain I found my soul mate of deodorants: it was inexpensive yet somewhat effective, didn’t leave white marks and had no scent. It was a deodorant and it worked allowing me to move onto other aspects of my busy life.
Fast forward two years. My life is busier than ever: school for the older kids along with homeworks, gymnastics, swimming, and karate. However, most of my attention is given to a baby – he is now three months old. He screams when grouchy and doesn’t see me, wants to eat almost all the time and requires a lot of diaper changes. And have I mentioned that I also have a full-time job I have to go back very soon? Do I have issues prioritizing my life? You bet!
New Mom Priorities
- Feed the Baby, because he screams whenever he is hungry and that is a problem for the whole family and possibly families that live near us.
- Change the baby, because the baby doesn’t like being wet.
- Eat and drink, because this mom needs food to make more milk to feed the baby, who screams whenever he is hungry.
- Wash baby bottles, because this baby eats so much, this mom has to also give him formula.
- Wash the baby, because after he eats his two-course meal, he spits up and is not overly happy about wearing wet clothes.
- Pick up the toys off the floor (Thank You kids!) to avoid tripping and falling while carrying the baby.
- Cook dinner for the family… ummm, Chinese sounds right about now or should we just go for Mac-n-Cheese?
Yep, the priority has definitely shifted. It looks like the only things that get done these days are baby related things. Let’s see what gets left behind:
New Mom Challenges (Sort of a Wish List)
- Take a shower once or twice a day to refresh and sneak a few minutes to reboot after a day of being spit up on, peed on, and covered in sweat. However, it is hard to take a shower while alone with a baby and a five-year old is NOW my first choice for a babysitter.
- Go to the bathroom, and actually close the door.
- Put a fresh shirt on in the morning
- Apply deodorant, because we sweat ten times a day. I’ve discovered that my favorite deodorant doesn’t work as well with me every day activities and I also sweat excessively while breastfeeding.
Let’s consider solutions for some of these real new mom challenges
Common Solutions to New Mom Problems
Showers are the best
A bouncer or an infant car seat are best mobile solutions for a mom and baby. Take it to the bathroom with you. Play pick-a-boo while taking a shower, but hopefully the sound of running water will calm your baby down and will give you much needed minutes of rejuvenation on the other side of the shower curtain.
I find this experience to be the best part of the day (besides baby smiles, of course), but make sure not to skimp on a body scrub, body lotion and a deodorant.
Trips to the Bathroom with a closed door
Sorry, you are out of luck. Kids have a secret sense about that. Whenever the door closes, cries and screams usually are to follow.
It might be hard to remember to put on the deodorant in the morning, but it is totally worth it. My solution is to leave me a positive note along with a fresh shirt and a deodorant.
And speaking of freshness, my new deodorant is the Dove Advanced CareAnti-Perspirant. It promises to provide 48-hour odor and wetness protection. Besides that, it also softens underarms by using the ingredients that are designed to moisturize and protect the skin. Dove® Advanced Care is clinically proven to reduce irritation from shaving, while moisturizing underarm skin to provide softer, smoother underarms in just three days.
Experience Dove Love At First Swipe Promotion for yourself:
Express your love for Dove Advanced Care for a chance to win a trip to Paris*
Dove is inviting women across the U.S. to try Dove Advanced Care and share their love for a chance to win a trip for 2 to Paris, or one of hundreds of other prizes. You can get involved by visiting Dove.com/LoveAtFirstSwipe to create their love note for Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant and then share it on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest for a chance to win. *
*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. The Dove Love at First Swipe Sweepstakes is sponsored by Conopco, Inc., d/b/a Unilever. Open to individual, legal residents of the 50 U.S. & D.C., who are 18 or older. Begins 12:00 p.m. ET on 4/20/15 & ends 11:59 a.m. ET on 6/15/15. For Official Rules, visit Dove.com/LoveAtFirstSwipe.
Are you a new mom or will be one soon? Maybe you know one?
Look for more tips, tricks, and other great articles on Advice for a New Mom page