This is it – the summer is finally here and I am ready to spend a lot of time outside. Yesterday, as soon as I opened the patio door, my 6-year-old daughter instantly flew outside and 5 minutes later came back with a friend. I guess, we need to get used to kids making their own friends and keep an extra sweet snack in the fridge for a spontaneous playdate.
Kids love LOVE L-O-V-E sweets and this recipe for a cake in the jar is a definite winner for any playdate – it is unusual, fun, and very easy to make. (Scroll down for the print card).
You will need:
- Your favorite fruits – we picked 2 peaches and 5 strawberries mainly for the color, but you can pick any fruits you love.
- 1/2 cake mix. Any type would do for this dessert, but to make it fun we picked a Party Mix with color sprinkles. Bake the cake according to the instruction on the box. When ready, let it cool.
- Chocolate pieces (we found that TWIX, 3 MUSKETEERS, and MILKY WAY® Simply Caramel unwrapped bites make it easy to mix, match, cut or just a snack on).
While shopping for cake supplies at Walmart, I stopped by the in-store #EatMoreBites TWIX demo and got a pretty awesome coupon. Don’t be jealous, I got one for you too, go ahead print this coupon on a Social Twist to make your candy shopping even sweeter – receive $1.00 off when you buy two 2.83 oz. or larger bags OR $3.00 off when you buy two 6 oz. or larger bags (scrowl down for the coupon).
Our cake mix consists of a Greek yogurt mixed with maple syrup – quick and easy. Combine 2 cups of yogurt and 1/4 cup of maple syrup and blend.
Finally, we are ready to do some magic. Cut the chocolate bites to the desired size. I like to have the smaller pieces on the bottom and the bigger pieces for the top. Crumble the cake crust.
Carefully place the cake crumbs on the bottom of the jar and level it with the spoon. Follow it with peach slices and pour half of the Yogurt cream.
Top it with chocolate pieces and repeat this combination again – crumbs, strawberry slices, yogurt, coarsely cut TWIX bites. Don’t put too much pressure on the second layer crumbs and eyemeasure to make sure you don’t run out of room in the jar.
Thank You for #EatMoreBites campaigns and #CollectiveBias #cbias network for making this recipe post possible.
Receive $1.00 off when you buy two 2.83 oz. or larger bags OR $3.00 off when you buy two 6 oz. or larger bags.
- 3 medium size Mason jars
- 2 peaches
- 5 strawberries
- ½ box cake mix
- 2 packages of either TWIX, 3 MUSKETEERS, and MILKY WAY® Simply Caramel bite-size
- 2 cups of Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- For yogurt cream combine 2 cups of yogurt and ¼ cup of maple syrup and blend.
- Cut the chocolate bites to desired size.
- Crumble the cake crust.
- Carefully place the cake crumbs on the bottom of the jar and level it with the spoon. Follow it with peach slices and pour half of the Yogurt cream over it.
- Top it with chocolate pieces and repeat.
- Repeat this combination again – cake crumbs, strawberry slices, yogurt, coarsely cut TWIX bites.